Looking for a Home
We do not have any Community Housing Vacancies at present.
However, we are looking for new participants under our My Place Program. Please check the Looking for a Home page for more details.
Please check back in the future for further updates, or visit ShelterMe website for accommodation options in Alice Springs.
Urgent Housing Assistance
Community Housing does not provide urgent housing assistance or accommodation.
If you are in need of urgent housing assistance we recommend you access the NT Shelter’s Shelter Me website, available through all devices.
The Shelter Me website is an extensive homelessness directory with links to local services to help with such things as emergency or transitional accommodation, food, money, and other support services.
Community Housing Central Australia’s Housing Options
Community Housing Central Australia offers a diverse but small range of long term housing options and vacancies are rare. To see if there are any Affordable Housing properties available please click here.
Before applying for housing with Community Housing , please read the general eligibiliy criteria below and contact our office to have a chat to one of our friendly staff.
Our Affordable Housing properties at 6a Bloomfield St, Poeppel Gardens and the St Mary’s Precinct are targeted for working Aboriginal people and families. Rents under this program are charged at 75% of the Market Value of the property.
Allocations under this program are made by Community Housing. To be eligible to apply for Affordable Housing you must:
- Identify as Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander;
- Have current employment and work references;
- Be able to live independently and have the capacity to manage your own home; and
- Meet the maximum household income limits shown below.
Maximum Household Income Limits
To be eligible for our Affordable Housing program, tenants gross household income (before Tax) must be less than the amounts published annually by the National Rental Affordability Scheme. Each household type has a different household income limit, for example:
- a single person cannot earn more than $51,398 per year
- A couple with one child cannot earn more than $88,111 per year.
For a full list of the current income limits please visit the NRAS website here.
Minimum Income to maintain affordability
To ensure rent is affordable for tenants, CHCA will also assess the minimum household income to ensure tenants are not paying more than 35% of their gross household income.
We calculate this as follows: Affordable Housing Rent / Gross Household Income = Percentage of Income for Rent
How to Apply
If you meet the above eligibility criteria please contact our office to discuss your housing needs or complete theCommunity Housing Central Australia, Housing Application Form Affordable Housing- Application.
We are currently seeking new applicants for the My Place Program. If you are in need of housing, please contact our My Place team to discuss your current situation before applying.
Rental Subsidy Program
We are currently seeking new applicants for the Rent Subsidy Program. Please contact our My Place team to discuss your current situation before applying.
Private Rental Liaison Program
We are currently looking for new participants for the Private Rental Liaison Program. If eligible, Community Housing will assist you to find suitable and affordable accommodation in the private rental market by providing the following assistance:
- Establish a rental budget based on your income
- Coordinate property inspections and assist with initial applications
- Advocate with Real Estate Agents on your behalf
- Assist with applications to Department of housing for Bond Assistance
- Where needed, refer participants to support services
- Assist and support with initial move into new premises and ensuring Power is connected
- Explain the rights and responsibilities of both tenant and landlord under the lease agreement
To be eligible for the program you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be homeless or at risk of homelessness
- On a moderate income and be able to afford private rent
- Have access to bond money and rent in advance – Approximately 6 weeks rent
- Household income can meet private rental affordability test
How to Apply
If you meet the above eligibility criteria please contact our office to discuss your housing needs or complete the Community Housing Central Australia, Housing Application Form. Affordable Housing- Application
Our Seniors Housing properties at 70 Dixon Road and 19 Elliot St are targeted for households who are on low to moderate incomes. Tenants pay 25% of their income plus 100% of Commonwealth Rent Assistance. Allocations under this program are made by Community Housing. To be eligible to apply for Seniors Housing you must:
- Be 50 years or older if you are Indigenous or over 55 years or older if you are not;
- Be on a low to moderate household income;
- Require either a 1 or 2 bedroom home; and
- Be able to live independently and have the capacity to manage your own home.
How to Apply If you meet the above eligibility criteria please contact our office to discuss your housing needs or complete the Community Housing Central Australia, Housing Application Form Affordable Housing- Application.
Housing on Town Camps is manged by Community Housing under a ‘Public Housing’ model. Housing allocations on Town Camps are made by the nominated Housing Reference Group (HRG) which is made up by residents of the community.
Whilst there are some Public Housing eligibility requirements to be housed on a Town Camp, generally housing is allocated by the HRG based on the applicant’s connection to and participation in the local community and the immediate need for housing.
There are no income limits that will effect a household’s eligibility on a Town Camps and the Department of Housing and Community Development holds the final approval for allocations.
How to apply
To apply for housing on a Town Camp you will need to complete the DHCD’s Public Housing Application Form. This form needs to include the details of all people in your household and a copy of ID and income details for all people over 18. Applications can be handed into our office address.